Friday 10 January 2014

Salutation of the Lambs

A baby animal can, I think, be compared to an undifferentiated stem cell: it doesn't quite know what it's going to become when it grows up.


One day, I was walking with a friend along the country road that joins up to Balintore Castle's western drive. The local farmer was driving in the opposite direction, on his quad bike, with a Spring lamb held in one arm and his sheep dog on board, who was clearly enjoying the ride.


I waved at the farmer in a neighborly fashion and shouted out "Hi!". This little lamb waved one of its forelegs above its head in response, and then bleated back at me. It was too young to know it wasn't supposed to be human. I couldn't quite believe what I'd just seen - the cutest thing ever - and it took a few moments to compose myself before I could blurt out that cliched phrase "Did you just see what I've just seen?" to my companion. :-)


My companion was a little less entranced "Perhaps, he just squeezed the lamb?", but I know what I saw.




the little lamb that waved back


6 comments:

  1. hi david happy new year to you and the castle .hope this proves to be a busy year at balintore ! I believe you that the lamb waved back ! lol maybe it thought you were its mummy ! hope to come see you and see what is going on with the work you must have done lots to it ! regards Catherine and violet x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you! Would be good to see you in the summer sometime, when work at the castle is in full swing. Glad you believe in the lamb - not all my friends do! :-)

      Delete
  2. We will bring muffins for you david and hope this weather isn't stopping you from work .keep cosy !
    Catherine and violet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who is this guy?! He must be the most handsome farmer I've ever seen... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the photo is for illustrative purposes only - the landscape and lamb in the photo are fairly similar to the actual ones - the farmer less so ... :-)

      Delete
    2. :D

      Thanks for bringing me down to earth again! ;)

      Delete